No, we don’t mean eating your favorite fatty meal or getting a special (very sugary) drink from Starbucks. Treating yourself is a reminder that you’re worth it. You deserve to be happy, but not at the cost of your wellness goals.
Here are 10 ways to treat yourself without heading straight for the cookie jar or breaking the bank.
- Give yourself 5 minutes to do nothing – literally, nothing. This will give you a chance to take a deep breath before you continue on with your day.
- Do a face mask and put on your favorite show while you wait to wash it off.
- Go for a short walk outside. Fresh air will help boost your mood.
- Make plans with a friend or relative so you have something to look forward to.
- Do some journaling. Grab a pen and paper and start writing down whatever comes to mind.
- Do something nice for someone else. We feel good when we help others.
- Take a nap. Many of us are sleep deprived, so a quick, 20-minute nap can be the perfect refreshment.
- Commit yourself to saying ‘No’ to things you don’t want to do.
- Have an early night and curl up in bed with a good book or movie.
- Grab yourself a new book from the library or second-hand book store.
Treating yourself is a great reminder that you deserve praise and reward. You are working hard to maintain mental and physical wellness. You have committed to the process and are sticking with it. These 10 techniques give you great ways to reward yourself for all your hard work without negating it. Try one of these out the next time you want to do something sweet for yourself.